Thursday, 7 April 2011

Help when choosing or installing radiators

Homeowners and renovators that are considering installing new radiators, whether it be traditional cast iron, contemporary models or towel rails, often get a bit stuck on a few of the technical aspects they need to consider.

Feature Radiators, a radiator specialist, confirmed that their customers often ask them the following questions:

1. Do I want a radiator with side or underside connections?

2. Do I need angled or straight radiator valves?

This article tries to help answer those questions by providing a clear explanation of the subject.

So what is the relevance of whether a radiator has side or underside valve connections?

The location of the valve connection points on a radiator should be considered as they determine:

· Whether straight or angled radiator valves are required; and

· The total width of wall space needed to accommodate a radiator once it has been installed.

Side Connections = angled valves required

Radiators with side valve connections (bottom opposite ends) are the standard connections used on traditional steel panel and cast iron radiators. Side connections mean the valves will be situated on either side of the radiator.

On a radiator with side connections, you need angled valves where conventional pipe work is used. Add approximately 150mm to the width of the radiator to give the total width needed to accommodate the radiator and valves once installed.

Many radiators including all cast iron and standard steel panel radiators have side valve connections.

Underside Connections = angled or straight valves?

Radiators with underside valve connections are a good choice where only a narrow space is available. This type of connection allows the valves to sit neatly underneath a radiator, as opposed to protruding either side, meaning less space is required.

When a radiator has underside connections, either straight or angled radiator valves are required, depending on where the pipes are coming from.

· If the pipe work comes up from the floor = straight valves are required; but

· If the pipe work comes out of the wall = angled valves are required.

Most heated towel rails and many contemporary radiators now have underside connections.

For more information on choosing and installing radiators and valves, then contact a specialist such as Feature Radiators. You can meet their expert team at their West Yorkshire showroom, call them on 01274 567789 or visit their website where they have a comprehensive list of FAQs.

Helena Gerwitz, EzineArticles Basic PLUS Author

No comments:

Post a Comment